Salona (Solin), Croatia
This was the main living center for the Illyrian Delmaeti tribe and in the Greeks used it for trading over many centuries in BC. The Romans continued that trading commerce that covered much of the inland regions. The creation of Christianity got a foothold here in 200-300AD, and many churches were erected without much disturbance by the Romans for the most part, even though they had to keep the profile low key. However, by 300-500 AD there were some enormous churchs built here. German Ostrogoths destroyed much of the town in the 4th century, and by that time the population was over 60,000 and covered at least 1 square mile. The Slavs and Avars ravaged the town in 641, and completely destroyed it for what reason? That forced Solin residents to take refuge in the nearly abandoned Diocletian palace in Split, so they had some protection with the walls as defense.
The main areas are called Manastrine that was the little church outside the main town that was first built in 300’s. After that over 300 years there were 3 main additions to the church to what the outline is today. The amphitheater held 18,000 people and is from 2nd century. The old town center in the middle was in a valley and the layout today to imagine it is fantastic. There are outlines of two churches, and many huge buildings of old. Excavation of the ruins started in about 1840’s and the main digs was by F. Bulic, archaeological specialist in 1929-1940’s. He studied much of the ruins and a great deal is located in Split museums today.